Wednesday, October 29, 2008

a saturday in NYC.

Clin left the room to get me some hot cocoa and grab a paper. After the snacking debaucle that occurred the day before, I was in no mood to eat an entire breakfast. Two hours later he came back. Deciding to stop at the theatre bookstore; leaving me to get ready. What? I take two hours to dress?

Upon his return, we decided to journey up 5th avenue and do a bit 'o' window shopping. H&M (my favorite store where I never seem to buy anything), Rockefeller Plaza, The Disney Store (5 stories - overwhelming, panic attack. Panic attack!), and another Gap. Which also had the fabulous sale of the century, and even more choices on the clearance rack. We loaded up. Serious load up. (A dress for $2.50? Yes please.) And guess what, Millie and Ellis? We went to NY and the only gift you get in return? Loads 'o' clothes. Because we know THAT is what 3 yr olds and 18 monthers like.

With little time left we hopped the train, and high tailed it to S'MAC.

This is the restaurant that haunts my NY dreams. And it again lived up to my obsession.


I ordered the Parisienne - Creamy Brie, roasted figs, roasted shiitake mushrooms & fresh rosemary. Beautiful. Sweet. Divine. Mmmmm.

Clin ordered exactly as he ordered in June. (Which baffels me. Why wouldn't you want to order until you have tasted everything from the menu?) Masala Mac - North American comfort food blended with Indian spices. Clin's was nice as well. Not AS nice. But nice.

Next time I go? The S'Mac Sampler - 8 different macs to taste. And I do not plan on sharing.

Next Destination? The matinee of A Tale of Two Cities: the musical.




The best part? James Barbour and the set. But the entire time I was trying to figure out what seemed off. Something. And talking to Clin - I figured it out.

This musical is for those who love Scarlet Pimpernel. Those who love Phantom of the Opera (except the story of this is much, much better.) It feels old fashioned. It is definitely in a certain vein of musical theatre. And the Utah audiences will looooove this.

Me? Ehhh. I enjoyed it. But I didn't looooooove it. I wasn't moved. I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary.

So we headed back to the subway and made our way down to the Lower East Side. I have always wanted to go to
Katz's Delicatessen. You know, it's the eatery where Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm in When Harry Met Sally.

We walked in, each handed a ticket, and sent to a long counter that was already surrounded by many, many people. Was there a line? I still don't know. There were many signs telling us what to do - but they were everywhere and didn't quite make sense.

I ordered this:

Reuben Sandwich - corned beef, swiss cheese, russian, and sauerkraut.

The cooks were cooking fast, talking fast - I didn't understand a word. While I waited for my sandwich, the man preparing it threw some meat on my tray. What was this for? Am I required to pay extra for this? No one explained. So I ate it. It was good.

When done - they write on the back of your ticket the amount you owe.

Clin stepped up to the counter, ordered some meat and the man told him he could not get that there. What? It was on the menu. So Clin changed his order and again was told he could not get it there. He finally relented and ordered a Pastrami Sandwich.

I attempted to get us some drinks. I crowded around one group of people getting beer. It was taking so long that I thought - perhaps this was only the alcohol line. So I journeyed elsewhere and failed. Miserably. Ended up back in the beer group and eventually ended up with some soda.

Meanwhile, Clin chose seats for us. And that is when we noticed that the seats against the wall were for those being waited upon. So Clin could have ordered his meat if we had just sat against the wall when entering. But no one told us that! We were rushed into the crowd, but had a better experience because of it.

We finally sat down, bit into our sandwiches, and both said yum. Serious yum. And the pickles....mmmmm. Smiles for all.

The couple sitting behind us returned, desperately looking for one of their 2 tickets. They only ordered 1 meal. If you try leaving the deli without a ticket (even if you didn't purchase anything), you are required to pay $50. So a fair warning to all. (The waitress found a blank ticket in the bathroom and gave it to them.)

The experience was as fabulous as the food. I sensed that not much has changed since its opening in 1888. Historical AND Fabulous.

Our final broadway show of the trip was Billy Elliot.

The musical version of the movie about a boy in England who ends up taking the local ballet class rather than the boxing class his father sends him to.




They have three boys cast as Billy Elliot. We saw David Alvarez. The entire musical depends upon a 14 year old boy. A 14 year old boy who can dance! Imagine that.

I liked this better than the movie. The first half was stronger than the second. Imagine a set that looks like a mining town in 1980s England. The set is used as strike headquarters, Billy's house, bedroom, kitchen, ballet class, boxing class, etc. It works. Classroom full of dancing girls (one as young as 6 or 7) who were strong dancers - doing this 8 times a week!! Ballet dancers running around dancing, striking miners striking - all singing...together.

Enjoyable. And I was highly amused at the older women in front of us who kept turning around, glaring, and talking about how appalled they are at the dress of theatre audiences these days. (That was ME they were talking about!) Remember? 1 dress plus no heels equaled jeans the entire trip.

We were tired, so returned to our hotel room and fell asleep...while eating cheesecake.

6 comments:

Tara said...

Now I really AM jealous. I totally want to see Billy Elliot. *sigh*

Billy Elliot AND S'mac?! Perfect trip. Right there.

Amanda said...

Your trip sounds like so much fun, I was just looking at the S'mac website the other day, saw the sampler and knew it had to be mine someday. Oh and I am salivating over the pomme frites post :)

Jacks said...

Amanda - the pomme frites were completely in your honor.

Bryan Summers said...

I was going to write a whole blog post about this - I didn't, so I'll just mention it here. Meg Ryan faking an orgasm in public is not funny.

It's the most unfunny scene in the movie. I hate lists of funny scenes that include it.

Jacks said...

Bryan - was that part of the movie supposed to be funny? I never thought it was.

I liked that movie though. Especially the interviews with the older adults. Although it's been a long time since I've seen it and maybe I need to re-assess.

Tale of Two Cities Musical said...

Hi,
I thought you might be interested in another “Tale of Two Cities Musical” that is wending it's way to Broadway (Perhaps via Boston). This one has a distinctively low budget so far but a very singable score and an engaging book. You might want to check out some of the songs. http://www.taleoftwocitiesmusical.com/

Bob Littlefield